Thursday, January 3, 2013

St. Nicholas Church - Cellefrouin, France

Happy New Year Everyone!
St. Nicholas Church
Cellefrouin, France
All Images Courtesy: My Life in the Charente
For the first posting of this brand new year I have Diane at the fabulous site, My Life in the Charente, to thank.
What a St. Nicholas church this is... 
So solid and strong...
Just lovely!
Diane wrote about it:
"The church was founded as the abbey of St Peter about 1025 by Arnaud de Villebre, the bishop of Perigueux (a town in the Dordogne some 100 kilometres away - big diocese!). At this time, the it was likely to have been of wood. A stone building was commenced about 1060 and, so the scholars believe, completed about 1100-1120, to become one of the most important churches in the region. German Wikipedia tells me that it was spared damage in the Hundred Years War (1337-1453) due to its remote location but was attacked and damaged by the Protestants in the Wars of Religion (1562-98). Once peace was restored, the building was rebuilt and re-dedicated to Saint Nicholas in the 16th or 17th century. You have 700 or so years of history there in a nutshell!!"

The Massive and Welcoming Door

Please visit Diane's site for more information on this church and her fabulous life and adventures in the Charente of France!
Thanks Diane!
And again... a Very Happy New Year to all!

11 comments:

Rhodesia said...

Hi Anne, glad that you found the pictures useful. I know all about lack of time, that is why I am giving myself a short blogging break!
Take care and I wish you all you wish yourself for 2013. Diane

Out on the prairie said...

I'll have to look up this one

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Ann. I love the inside of that Church. Wishing you a very happy, healthy and blessed new year.2846 efsact

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Happy New Year

My Mind's Eye said...

Hi Miss Ann and Edward my friend.
Another lovely church.
WE ARE SO LATE TODAY BUT LOTS GOING ON WITH THE G-PEEPS. My Grandpa is in the hospital again.
HUGS MADI YOUR BFFF

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Happy New Year Ann,
This church is simply breathtaking!
I love the architecture, especially the arches.
Wishing you the very best of health and happiness in the new year
blessings,
Penny

Daily Grace said...

Just lovely! Happy New Year!

ZielonaMila said...

Amazing place:) Greetings

Online Doctorate by nina said...

The architecture of the church only reflects how people are dedicated to build the church at best. It is really breathtaking and worth to keep. I hope structures like these should not be taken for granted and should be there for the future generation as well. I hope you will have more posts like these in the future.

troutbirder said...

Interesting architecture and, of course, I always love the history parts....:)

Ming said...

Just stopping by to say hi... it's been a long time since you've posted and wanted to make sure you are doing well.

TC!