Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Feast of St. Nicholas - St. Nicholas Cathedral - Elblag, Poland

Happy St. Nicholas Day!
St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Cathedral
(Katedra Sw. Mikolaja)
Elblag, Poland
Image Courtesy: Wikipedia
Since St. Nicholas Day is such an important and lovely holiday in Poland I thought to post about this very old church located in the north of the country. 
This beautiful church's cornerstone was first laid in 1247. The building was completely destroyed during WWII... but the indomitable spirit of the Polish people prevailed. It was totally reconstructed and in 1992, it was made a cathedral.
An interesting View
Katedra Sw. Mikolaja
Image Courtesy: Geolocations
It's fun to note that St. Nicholas - that is, Sw. Mikolaj in Polish - brings gifts to all the good boys and girls on this, the anniversary of his repose. But if a child is naughty - watch out! A switch made from one of those lovely birch trees that fill the rolling hills and plains of the country is given instead!
One more view!
Image Courtesy: Wikimedia
Author: Krzymill
Happy St. Nicholas Day to all!!

15 comments:

Pat said...

Beautiful cathedral. thanks for sharing its history - and I can see why all the children would choose good! :) xx

Ola said...

And we find here in Poland little gifts under a pillow or in shoes:)

Sara Lee said...

Happy St. Nick Day to you too! This is lovely and a fun story... A birch tree switch must've been plenty of incentive to be "good" ")

Junibears said...

Dear Ann, I hope you found a little gift in your shoe! A lovely post. Hugs xx

Dora Sislian Themelis said...

Xronia Polla! Happy Name Day for St. Nicholas and all who celebrate the saint today!

My Mind's Eye said...

Hi Edward and Mom.
The church featured today is beautiful. Mom loves all the brick and the design of the church.
Did you know a lot of the brick used on the East Coast is made right here in NC about 30 miles from us.

Hugs and Merry Christmas to you and your family,
Madi your BFFF and Mom

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post, Ann. St. Nicholas Cathedral in Poland is GORGEOUS.... I laughed thinking of a 'switch' for the naughty children. (I know several here in our country who need the 'switch'...ha ha )

Hugs,
Betsy

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

DEAREST ANN! WOW, 1247? This is what I love about Europe! How you find all these churches is BEYOND ME!!! Thank you for coming to visit; I am working like a mad woman over here, juggling substitute teaching and Etsy and special commissions AND a writing class! How am I possible? ;)

HAVE A GLORIOUS DAY! Anita

Lois Evensen said...

How beautiful! And, Happy St. Nicholas Day (a little late since I can't long on at sea) to you, too. It is always so much fun to see your posts.

Hugs,
Lois

Ming said...

Ah, a few days behind so a belated Happy St. Nicholas Day to you! When you mention what bad boys and girls were left, a switch, it reminded me of my sweet mother-in-law who used to use switches on the kids when younger... well actually she would only have to use it once and just mention the word to get control of her six children :) Thanks for letting me recall her funny stories... Hope all is well in your neck of the world!

troutbirder said...

And hi on a special day to Ann. I'm catchig up today as we've been fighting colds for some days now. And thanks for the link to my blogs & I'm sending the link to your post by email to the many friends. We're off soon to Arizona for the Christmas holiday to see the the grandkids. And now I will be able to give them the real scoop on St. Nick....:)

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Good Morning Ann,

I wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying "The Faith of St. Nick" It's hard for me to JUST read one section a day - but I'm savoring each one. Thank you for writing such an informative and inspiring book.

Have a fabulous day,
Lynn

George said...

This is a beautiful cathedral. I'm glad it was rebuilt. I certainly hope I don't get one of those birch switches!

Splendid Little Stars said...

beautiful cathedral! Thanks for sharing!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a lovely church.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to you and yours, Ann.

God bless.